Friday 12 February 2010

Writing - Goals re-setting

I've decided to revise my writing goals. My long-term goal hasn't changed, I still want to be a writer, preferably a pulished one, but I feel that focusing whole-heartedly on this idea might not be the best thing for me to do right now. I'm still a baby-writer, I have a lot of time to get better at writing. As long as I write, I'll be fine. I'll get used to it and I'll get better or I'll get bored and I'll stop.

But I won't know unless I try.

Of course, I'd love a shortcut. The secret to writing, the one that allows you to whisper an idea in your computer's ear, hit ctrl+P and collect your proof-read and edited manuscript from your printer a minute later. It'd probably be great for the first couple of books, but I bet it'd get really boring after a while. A bit like cheat-coding your way through a game. Sure it's easier, but it's also less interesting.

As there is no shortcut, however, I'll start small and write regularly and steadily, if not too much at a time. I'll focus on exercices and prompts and on ideas that have been on my mind for a bit and I may also try to revisit some of the stories I've already written using a different angle. My aim for this year is to progress, however small the improvement may be. I want to get a few stories finished and get some feedback on them, I want my Nanowrimo '10 novel to be a bit more properly complete than its predecessors and maybe I'll start on another story as well.

I am setting Stars Shine Brighter aside from the time being, as I fear I may be on my way to becoming that writer with only one story that occupies their mind so fully that it prevents anything else from happening. I have no doubt whatsoever that I will come back to it at some point, I just feel it deserves a better writer than I am at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment