Wednesday 16 December 2009

Writing - The First Step

Ahah, I did it. I Sat Down And Wrote. For an hour.
The kind of pathetic part is that I had to unplug the internet for an hour, but I guess whatever does the trick is okay for me.

I started my Daily Hour of Writing by an exercise from my cool Writer's Toolbox (containing a booklet and several cool prompting tools, by Jamie Cat Callan). It's got adorable prompts on wooden sticks, much like the Stick Novels that the Nanorilla crowd will remember.
You draw a First Sentence stick, write for a few minutes, then draw a Non Sequitur stick, write a bit more, then draw a Last Straw stick and finish up your writing.
I had:
- 'I like hats.' That's what Donald said the day before he killed Sally.
- 'There you go, making up lies again.' That's what they told me.
- the time Fred went to the car wash and never came back
I got a little over 600 words with these and it was fun, I'll definitely do it again if I feel blocked.

Then I actually started on the novel and wrote 200 words of Stars Shine Brighter. It's one of the characters walking into a grubby diner to meet the others. It's not much but it's a start.

Tadaaaah.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for writing! :) This is me following you in order to pressure you into doing it, but it looks like you're off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following Candace! Will post later about my 'good start', that hasn't been that great these past few days, but for now, writing!

    ReplyDelete