Wednesday 16 December 2009

Project Cromulent Official Launching Post

Hello and welcome to my new blog, Project Cromulent!

My name is Claire, I'm a 22-year-old French girl living in London and I want to be a writer.
It sounds deliciously cliché: just your average bat-shit insane leftist French girl, blogging from underneath two layers of blankets because her house is too cold, acknowledging to the world that, yes, she wants to write stories, have them published and see them in glorious paperback form, on a shelf or several across the verse. And be given tons of awards because she's awesome. But, as says my housemate, if there's one thing I'm kind of good at, it's knowing my own faults.
And what I know is that I'm lazy. Quite a bit so. Enough so that my twittername is @lazyclaire.
This explains why, since I started writing a little over a year ago, I haven't had a lot of practise in my craft. I have started three novels, all of them written mostly during a Nanowrimo-type month (Nov. 08, July 09 and Nov. 09) and haven't done much editing or re-writing on them at all.
My other 'problem', even though I don't actually consider it as such, is that I want to write in English and I'm not a native speaker. I have an idea that is mainly because I'm a stubborn and confrontational in-the-way type of person who likes to make life difficult for herself. Although I do know other non-native speakers who write in English, so I'm not alone out there.
This blog is to help me with both issues by way of guilt. You, faithful reader, are going to help me by way of guilting me into getting better.
My writing will only get better if I practise it by writing and reading and my English will only get better if I practise it by reading and writing. Also, I'm a good enough girls, the fairies might show up during the night and write my novel for me! Or not.

Anyway, on this blog I will post about 1/ my writing goals, habits, self-imposed deadlines or schedules, etc... in my attempts to make a habit of writing regularly and 2/ the books that I read and what I get out of them, language-wise, genre-wise, writing-wise. I will also keep a reading list that I will invite readers to contribute to.
Now, I'll plug the blog on twitter and unplug the wifi for an hour to write. Reports on reading and writing to come later tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment