Wednesday 16 December 2009

Why is this called Project Cromulent anyway?

Because I quite like cromulent, as a word and as a phenomenon, if I may use so bold a term.
Here's a brief history and definition of the word:
Cromulent is one of two fictional words introduced in series seven The Simpsons episode Lisa the Iconoclast - the other word was the verb 'to embiggen'. The writers were asked to make up two words that sounded like they were real English word and that's how they created cromulent and embiggen. The Springfield motto is 'A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.' and a teacher comments that they'd never heard the word 'embiggen' before moving to Springfield. Another teacher replies: 'I don't know why ; it's a perfectly cromulent word.' So embiggen means to make bigger and cromulent means valid, fine or acceptable.
I said earlier that I know my faults and, well, one of them is that I tend to think well of myself. Which is why I like the idea that my blog is by name, a valid, fine or acceptable attempt at embiggening the quality of my writing. It also ties in nicely with the idea of reading as a way to learn new words (real ones!) Plus, I like the sound of the word, the way it was created and the way it has come to life. My inner linguistics geek is fascinated by the idea that both words are now listed in some dictionaries!
Finally, I have to say that I was first introduced to them by my significant other, who is made of evil and delights in teaching me fake words and false pronunciations for real words for the sole purpose of confusing me. 'But I assure you, sweetie, you've been pronouncing vinegar wrong all along!' This is me doing some word reclaiming here, hah!
Too many exclamation marks, it's time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment