Monday 28 March 2011

Podcasts & Mary Robinette Kowal

I've never really liked listening to music on the radio - never knowing whether I'm going to like the next song really annoys me - but I like listening to shows regularly. I followed a few radio shows when I was younger, but I haven't in ages. I listen to Woman's Hour from time to time (especially when the amazing Kaite Welsh is on), but I get most of my spoken word entertainment from podcasts nowadays.

Ever since I discovered podcasts, about six or seven years ago (can't believe it's been that long!), I've been addicted to them. I used to listen to Harry Potter podcasts, as soon as they were out every week for several years when I was at uni. I couldn't watch any English-speaking TV, although I wouldn't go near French-dubbed movies with a barge-long pole, so these casts were my main source of authentic spoken English reference. I believe they're a huge part of why I have a bit of an American-ish accent when I speak.

Now though, I listen to writing podcasts, my favourites being Mur Lafferty's I Should Be Writing, which I've probably mentioned before, and the amazing, award-winning Writing Excuses. As I've a bit of an obsessive nerd, I've gone back in the archive and listened to every episode since both shows began. One of my favourite Writing Excuses episode ever is from back in 2009: Guest speaker Mary Robinette Kowal, Campbell-winning author and professional puppeteer (seriously, how cool is that?) talks about the four principles of puppetry and how to apply them to writing. Apart from being a fascinating insight into puppet theatre theory, it's a great discussion of what writing is about (mind-controlling the reader, among other things) and just a really fun talk to listen to.

So I think you should go listen to it here - Writing Excuses Season 3 Episode 14 - The Four Principles of Puppetry with Mary Robinette Kowal - and if you're as intrigued by Kowal's cool writing theories as I was, you should also read her Hugo-nominated novel, Shades of Milk and Honey (Tor Books, 2010, ISBN 978-0765325563 - order it from your local bookstore). I listened to the audiobook (read by Kowal, which was a lovely bonus) this week-end and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is basically Jane Austen with magic. Need I say more? Probably not, but in case you're not convinced, here's the boing-boing review.

No comments:

Post a Comment