Thursday 24 March 2011

As you may have noticed...

I'm not very consistent. Heck, I think it's even fair to say I'm quite inconsistent.

I consider this particular quirk of mine to be one of my more annoying character traits. Whenever I try to do something even remotely long term, like make a really fancy costume, exercise regularly, practise drawing, diet, write a book or, say, a blog... I tend to just stop after a while. It's why I like Nanowrimo and Script Frenzy so much: I find it much easier to focus on one month and rush something out, even if it's more difficult, than to do it slowly over a long period of time.

I am well aware there are no magic secret and I know I won't get better at writing without doing a large amount of writing. So I am trying to be more consistent, to do things in a less hectic way, a little bit at a time. I'm breaking my big goals into smaller ones, detailing the process on notecards, giving myself a time-frame to finish each small goal. To make sure I make good on these, I got myself a nifty corkboard that fits right next to my desk. I've divided it into three categories (To Do, Doing and Done). I add new goals to the To Do column, then move them into Doing and eventually Done, as I make progress. Right now, in Doing, I have:

- Create main characters, both protagonists and antagonists
- Figure out conflicts
- Plot story arc and character arcs
- Do worldbuilding/research
- Plot scenes

I got the idea from a Holly Lisle article. What I like most about her courses is that she's so incredibly well-organised. It's been helpful, although it hasn't revolutionised the way I write yet. At least, my writing space looks pretty cool:

No comments:

Post a Comment